No matter which one of these microwave cleaning hacks you use to clean a microwave, I’m positive that it’ll be easier, faster and more efficient than any method you have tried in the past.
I try to avoid common microwave dangers, however sometimes the chaos is inevitable. Occasionally I’ll go to use it only to be greeted with microwave smells, baked-on splatters and food messes.
Have you ever tried to scrub that stuff off? Well I’ll tell you that it’s nearly impossible.
Luckily I have a few tricks up my sleeve that I’m going to share with you! Here are 3 microwave cleaning hacks that you need to try next time that you’re faced with a mess.
Using the power of steam, we’re going to effortlessly remove that microwave grease and grim. Use these methods to clean your microwave next time your faced with a mess.
Clean Microwave With Vinegar
I love using vinegar to clean because it’s an all-natural, chemical-free cleaning alternative. Use the vinegar to clean, sanitize and deodorize the inside of your microwave.
This method is effective at not only removing the food mess, but also eliminating the bad odors. Follow along and let’s clean this mess!
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 4 cup glass bowl or cup
- Wooden chopstick, skewer or spoon
- Cleaning cloth or sponge
- Pour 1 cup of white vinegar and 1 cup of water into glass bowl or measuring cup. Place the cup or bowl into the dirty microwave and insert the wooden tool.
(This helps to make sure that the water doesn’t super heat and explode. Its not always necessary, but it’s a precaution that is worth taking.)
- Run the microwave for 5-10 minutes on high. The time frame ranges based on power level of the microwave.
When the time is finished, carefully remove the cup of vinegar water from the microwave with oven mitts.
- Use a cleaning cloth to wipe the inside of the microwave clean. The steam from the water and vinegar mixture will loosen up the food mess inside.
Furthermore, the vinegar steam will deodorize the inside of the microwave to remove any funky smells.
A towel should be able to effortlessly remove the splatter and spills from inside the microwave without any scrubbing.
Bonus Step – Clean Microwave Outside
If the buttons are sticky and the outside of the microwave has accumulated some dust, then take your cleaning to the next level.
Simply moisten a corner of the cleaning cloth with the hot vinegar water mixture. Then, used the dampened cloth to wipe and buff away and grime from the outside of the microwave.
As a result, the outside of the microwave will shine, and the inside of the microwave will be spot free and smell good too!
Clean Microwave With Lemon
For those of you who would rather use a vinegar-free method, here is an insanely easy microwave cleaning hack. Not only will it clean your microwave, but it will also leave it smelling fresh!
Harness the power of lemon to clean the microwave in just a few minutes. Here’s how to do it!
- Small bowl
- 1 lemon
- 1 cup water
- Sponge or kitchen towel
- Cut lemon in half, squeeze the juice into a bowl along with the ½ cup of water.
- Microwave until the water boils (about 3 minutes).
- Leave the bowl of lemon water in the microwave for an addition 5 minutes to let the steam loosen up the grease and grime.
- Remove the bowl and also the microwave turn-table. Wipe the inside clean with a sponge or kitchen towel.
- To remove tough stains and baked-on spills, dip the sponge into the hot lemon water to absorb some liquid, and then press it onto the stain. This will loosen food mess before you continue thoroughly scrubbing.
- Bask in the glow of your glistening clean microwave!
Clean Microwave With Essential Oils
If you’re looking to clean a microwave without vinegar or lemon, then this cleaning hack might be perfect for you. Use essential oils to clean and sanitize the inside of the microwave.
This method also works well because we will again be relying on the power of steam to do the hard work. So if you want to avoid vinegar and lemon, then harness the power of essential oils to clean a microwave.
- 2 cups water
- 10 drops essential oil (lemon, orange, pine, tea tree)
- Spray bottle
- Sponge or cleaning rag
- Fill an empty spray bottle with a ¼ cup of water and about 10 drops of essential oil. (Adjust the scent based on personal preference. If you want a milder scent, then use a bit less, or add more oil if you’d prefer a stronger scent.)
- Spray the inside of the microwave with the water and essential oil mixture. Make sure to spray liberally all over the top, bottom, and sides of the microwave. (Don’t spray directly into the vent, just around the flat surfaces.)
- Get the sponge as wet as possible and place it in the center of the microwave.
- Run the microwave on high for approximately 2 minutes.
- Let the sponge rest inside the microwave for about 3 minutes with the door closed. When the sponge is cool enough to handle, use it to wipe the inside of the microwave clean.
- Watch as all the gunk magically slides of the surface.
- You can also use the same sponge to wipe down the outside of the microwave. Enjoy your shiny and fresh-smelling microwave!
You’ll be amazed at how easy it is to clean a microwave with these cleaning hacks. Each method is guaranteed to keep your kitchen appliance clean and ready for the next meal.
What’s your best tip for cleaning a microwave?