A bag of chips, side of guacamole, and fulfilling Chipotle bowl is just too much for your belly to digest in one sitting. As we already know, not one reheating method fits all situations, so what is the best way to reheat chipotle in microwave when you have huge pile of leftovers to deal with?
From chicken, steak, to vegetarian style, Chipotle makes every dish finger-licking delicious with healthy options for a quick counter service meal.
When reheating Chipotle in the microwave, you need to remove the aluminum foil lid on the bowl, wrapper around the burrito and paper bag the chips are served inside. These materials are not microwave-safe and can cause fire or ruin your food. Instead, use a microwave-safe dish and set the proper power level and cooking time to reach an internal temperature of 165°F or 74°C.
It may seems complicated to refresh the flavor and texture of your leftover Chipotle, but there are a few simple steps that you can quickly follow. Juicy burrito and crispy tortilla chips are possible with these microwave tips. But is it really safe to microwave every kind of Chipotle meal?
Is it safe to microwave Chipotle?
Reheating food and drinks in the microwave is a popular method to make your life so much easier. It helps to reduce preparation and cooking time.
But when you are dealing with leftover Chipotle meals, not every menu item is reheated the same way.
Burritos and bowls are served with an assortment of cooked meats and fresh chopped vegetables, which can lead to challenges when microwaved all together. Top that off with some sour cream and guacamole, then unsafe food handling and improperly heating up can cause digestive problems.
Before microwaving Chipotle leftovers, proper food handling must be followed. According to the USDA temperature danger zone guidelines, leftovers are considered to be perishable and need to be refrigerated or frozen within 2 hours if you plan of reheating.
Store individually wrap food items in airtight containers inside the fridge. The USDA safe handling procedures consider perishable food items that should be fully reheated to an internal temperature of 165°F or 74°C.
Microwaving Chipotle is safe when each meal is handled and stored properly. Avoid using the original packaging when reheating, instead transfer the food items to microwave safe dish ware and reheat until the internal temperature reaches 165°F or 74°C.
Before you proceed with reheating everything in the microwave all at once, read how each Chipotle menu item is microwaved to get the best result.
Can you microwave Chipotle?
To freshen up cold Chipotle leftovers, you can definitely pop them in the microwave for a quick zap. But, do you reheat the food in its disposable packaging, what power setting and how long is the cook time?
The paper bags and decomposable bowls at Chipotle are not microwave-safe. The takeout containers consist of plastic, wax and metal that can leach harmful chemicals into your food.
Here are instructions for the ultimate guide to reheating Chipotle leftovers:
- Chipotle Bowl: Chipotle bowls are made with paper fibers that are compliant with regulations and deemed safe enough to serve hot food. However, it may not be suitable to microwave Chipotle bowls because the plastic and wax lining may not withstand sudden exposure to high heat. In order to reheat Chipotle bowl, remove lettuce, sour cream, and guacamole to avoid soggy and mushy taste. Also, it’s recommended to transfer the content of the bowl to a microwave safe dish.
- Chipotle Burrito: No matter what type of protein you have loaded in your burrito, you will need to unwrap the foil packaging before you microwave Chipotle burrito. Nuke for 1 minute durations, about 3 minutes total, and roll the burrito to a different side after each interval. Let the burrito rest for 30 seconds so the heat spreads evenly, then take the internal temperature. Make sure the internal temperature reaches 165 degree Fahrenheit or 74 degrees Celsius before consuming.
- Guacamole & Sour Cream: Can’t do a Chipotle meal without guacamole and sour cream, they are tasty condiments that make every meal even more delicious. But dealing with guacamole and sour cream mixed into a burrito or bowl is not nearly as pleasant to reheat. If you are microwaving guacamole inside the burrito, it is safe to eat and actually make the flavor much more rich when reheated. On the other side, microwaving sour cream requires a bit more attention in regards to storage and spoilage. Furthermore, sour cream has a tendency to curdle and separate with overheated, which causes food to become extra soggy.
- Tortilla Chips: In addition to salsa and guacamole, a handful of crispy tortilla chips really helps to complete the meal. To fix stale tortilla chips, line a microwave safe plate with a paper towel, and reheat tortilla chips in the microwave for 30 seconds.
Chipotle leftovers do not come with a clear reheating instructions nor are the disposable dishes or wrappers microwaveable. So, if you are concerned, transfer the burritos and chips to a microwave-safe plate and proceed to reheat following these microwave tips.
How long do you need microwave Chipotle?
Based on what temperature the leftovers are stored and how much food you are placing in the microwave ultimately affect the spectrum of microwave time. If the food is at room temperature, then it is much easier to reheat than food that has just been pulled out of the fridge.
The reheating time in the microwave can vary for individual foods. Uneven temperatures are a concern with reheating food in the microwave, so allow your Chipotle burrito or bowl at least 1 minute to rest before taking the internal temperature in multiple spots.
Here are simple guidelines to successfully heat leftover Chipotle:
- Start with medium power level for burritos and bowls in the microwave.
- Use high power to reheat tortilla chips in the microwave.
- If you tortilla chips are stale, place a paper towel or parchment towel on top of the microwave safe plate to help absorb any moisture.
- It is safe to reheat leftover guacamole one time, and in fact reheating actually kills harmful bacteria.
- Microwave burritos for 1 minute durations. Flip the burrito onto a different side, and continue reheating. Repeat this process to evenly distribute heat and prevent moisture from building up on the bottom which will inevitably make the tortilla soggy from the steam.
- Avoid using the disposable lid on Chipotle bowls. To prevent any splatters, simply cover the bowl with wax paper or a paper towel.
Be aware when reheating burritos, the center of burrito might be still be cold. Make sure to rotate the burrito after each interval and allow the burrito to rest for 1 minute before taking the internal temperature.
Meat can remain cold and may need more time to reheat to reach safe temperature to consume. Burritos and bowls as a bit more challenging to reheat, but leftovers should reach an internal temperature of 165°F or 74°C before it is considered safe to eat.
Things to know before microwaving Chipotle
Whether or not you have rotating tray inside your microwave, certain food sometimes takes longer to reach reheated temperature.
For additional information, here are things to know before you start microwaving Chipotle meals:
- Flip the burrito every 60 seconds to speed up the reheating process. A preheated microwave crisper pan will make your Chipotle burrito a bit crunchy and help to avoid having a soggy tortilla wrap.
- Stir the bowl every 60 seconds to speed up the reheating process. When reheating a Chipotle bowl, do not use the disposable lid. A microwave cover will reduce unnecessary food splatter and help to heat up the food more evenly.
- Transfer the food from the original package to a microwave-safe plate before reheating.
- Remove any fresh vegetables before microwaving. After nuking, place the veggies back on top with a fresh scoop of guacamole or sour cream on the side.
- Adjust the microwave power level to get the best results for each menu item.
At anytime of the day, you can continue to enjoy your leftover Chipotle meal by quickly reheating in the microwave. Make sure to provide the right power setting and cook time to fully refresh all the cold bites.