Corn on the cob remains one of the most popular grain of today. It is filled with nutrients and also packs a quality source of plant based protein with each serving.
There are a number of different ways in which you can cook corn, however microwaving corn has proven to be the quickest and easiest method. This is because corn on cob can be easily had with minimal preparation beforehand and very little effort on your part.
How do you microwave corn on the cob? Microwave corn on the cob in the husk for 4 minutes. If the husk has been removed, wrap the ear of corn with a wet paper towel, place on a microwave safe plate and nuke for 4 minutes or until the corn kernels are cooked.
In this article, we are going to talk about how to microwave corn on cob. Read on to find out helpful microwaving hacks, tips to maintain freshness, and the best way to cook corn on the cob in the microwave.
Is it safe to microwave corn on cob
Microwaving corn on the cob is a perfectly safe method of cooking. However, you should be a bit careful about using the right kind of utensil for your microwave and cautiously observing the cooking time as to not overdo it.
Some materials like plastic and metal do not perform well in microwaves, hence you should never be nuking food items in them. Opt to use microwave safe dishes and utensils such as glass and ceramic which do not get affected.
Also, make sure the temperature of the microwave is set to high to expedite the cooking process. Extended cooking time can lead to a drier corn, which simply does not taste as good.
Another important point to note here is to not set the timer for more than 5 minutes at a time. You can end up burning or overcooking the corn on the cob, so stop the timer ever couple minutes and check the doneness.
How long do you microwave corn on cob
In general, it takes 4 minutes to microwave corn on cob. The cook time ultimately depends on factors like the size of the corn, number of ears and also the microwave wattage.
Of course you can go longer than that, but you risk the kernels drying out or getting scorched. Microwave for 2 minutes at a time, and check for doneness after each duration that way you can adjust the total cook time accordingly.
However, for safety reasons, we would recommend you to go no more than 5 mins in total. This ensures thorough cooking of the corn and also negates the risk of you burning it.
How do you know when corn on cob is done in the microwave
There are various ways to test if the microwaved corn is done or not. Below are some of the steps you can follow to ensure if your corn on cob is fully cooked or not.
- Cooked corn has a sweet, yet powerful aroma. Your sense of smell will notify you that the corn is starting to cook. The fragrance escalates as the time of doneness approaches.
- Cooked corn has a more intensified yellow color. If your microwave has a transparent door, you can view to see if the kernels have turned golden yellowish or not.
- Cooked corn is soft and tender. You can opt to stop the microwave and take the corn out and prick it with a toothpick. If the tip goes right in, then the corn is ready to eat. If it is still hard, then you might need to microwave for another minute.
How do you microwave corn on cob quickly
Microwaving corn on cob is quick and easy. Just follow these simple steps and you are good to go:
- Take your corn on cob, remove any husks and silky fibers that it might have and wash it thoroughly.
- Take a paper towel and wet it a little. Wring the excess water out and wrap the ear of corn with it. Ensure no area is left uncovered.
- Put the paper towel covered corn onto a microwave safe dish, then zap it for about 2 minutes. Flip it over and continue microwaving for 2 more minutes.
- The moment the corn turns bright yellow, you can take it out. You can also perform the toothpick test to see if your corn is ready or not.
It is always better to do the toothpick test instead of just relying on the color turning yellow or the intense aroma as it is difficult to judge the changes in the first few experiences. Yes, after doing it a number of times you may have a couple of point of reference to help in the determination..
Alternate and even more time saving method
- Microwave the corn with the husk.
- You do not need paper towels if you are in a hurry.
- Microwave it for about 4 minutes.
- Use a sharp knife to cut through the bottom of the cob.
- Slide the host off the top and the corn is ready to eat.
Tips to microwave corn on cob
Cooking corn on cob in a microwave is easier than it sounds. However, these tips will help you to get steaming hot corn that is perfectly cooked every time.
- If you want to preserve the natural flavor of corn, do not remove it from its husk. Put it directly in the microwave with the husk in place as this exponentially adds more flavor.
- Make your own flavored corn using butter and salt. For more flavors, you can add oregano, chili powder, salt and lime on cob before you microwave. For a trip on the wild side, Tajin Clásico Seasoning is a personal favorite of ours!
- Using paper towel on your cob helps it to get cooked more quickly and evenly by encapsulating it with a protective layer of steam.
- You can also cut the cob in half and microwave each pieces separately. This ensures your corn on cob gets cooked even easier.
You can always remove the kernels from the cob after it has been cooked if you want to have it separately. This article provides you with a complete guide on how you could microwave corn on cob the best way.
You can opt to take a little butter and salt and apply it on the surface of the cob, ensuring the whole area is covered. You can also use a mixture of lime juice and salt.
This methods ensure there is a bit of flavor present, but it’s not really necessary. If you want it plain, then you can simply nuke the corn on cob by itself and enjoy.
Best ways to microwave corn on cob
Cooked corn on cob is a delicious way of consuming it and you get the various nutritional benefits that corn has to offer. Microwaving corn on cob is the fastest method of cooking it.
There are various ways to microwave corn on the cob:
- Place a corn on the cob in a microwave safe bowl and fill it with water. Nuke on high until the water boils and the corn is cooked, about 4 minutes
- Wrap an ear of corn with wet paper towels and nuke it for 4 minutes.
- However, the best way would be to simply put the corn with its husk in the microwave. This saves a lot of time and absolutely enhances the “corny” flavor from the aroma of the husk.
You can always put butter, spices, lime and salt after it has been cooked.
- If you are looking for a bit of flavor in your corn, our pro tip would be to apply butter over it before putting it in the microwave. You can also spray it with olive oil before cooking, which brings a lot more flavor than any other method for cooking.
You will need to use a microwave cover as a lid over the top of the plate instead of wrapping the cob with paper towels. The lid will trap steam and protect the kernels from drying out during the microwaving process.