Cooked eggs are a nutritious and delicious ingredient most commonly served for breakfast. The classic preparation is on the stovetop, but there has to be a way to microwave over easy eggs.
How do you make over easy eggs in the microwave? To make an over easy egg in the microwave, preheat a microwave safe plate in the microwave for 15 seconds. Melt a teaspoon butter on the hot surface, and then crack an egg on the plate. Nuke for 45 seconds or until the whites of the eggs are set and the top of the yolk is slightly cooked.
Over easy eggs are cooked by pan-frying the egg on stovetop and flipping the egg to briefly cook the other side, but microwaving eggs is another simple preparation method. In this write-up, we are going to discuss the ways to microwave over easy eggs in the kitchen appliance.
Can you make an over easy egg in the microwave?
Yes, an over easy egg can be made in the microwave. However, you will not flip the sunny side on the surface of the pan, so the egg will be prepared in a similar way as when you microwave sunny side up eggs.
Before making over easy eggs in the microwave you must know what over easy eggs are.
Since the heat in a microwave is not directed to the bottom of a pan, but instead all around the cavity of the appliance. Therefore, the top of the egg will be slightly cooked without the need to flip the egg over.
Is it safe to eat microwaved over easy eggs?
Over easy eggs cooked in a microwave are similar to the same techniques for making sunny-side-up eggs. The egg yolk will be undercooked and mostly runny.
When pan frying an over easy egg, the egg will be flipped over so that the topside can be briefly cooked. However, when microwaving the top of the egg is gently cooked because the heat energy is not only focused to the bottom of the pan.
According to many experts, eating a runny yoke can cause food borne illness, regardless of the level of its runniness. This is a result of some eggs containing a bacteria known as salmonella.
According to the USDA temperature danger zone, this microorganism will not be killed unless the egg is cooked properly.
If the egg has this germ in it, then it will keep alive in the undercooked yolk. However, the risk of salmonella can be minimized by heating the egg town internal temperature of 160 degrees Fahrenheit.
How do you make an over easy egg in the microwave without flipping it?
While making an over easy egg in the microwave, you will have to preheat a microwave safe plate before and spray some cooking oil or melting butter on the hot surface. Now crack an egg gently on the preheated plate without damaging its yoke.
Season the white of the egg with pepper and salt, and then microwave on high heat for 45 seconds or until the egg white is set and the top of the yolk is slightly cooked. microwaving for much longer can impact the funniness of the yolk.
To improve the results of microwaving an over easy egg without flipping it, add 1-2 tablespoons of water to the hot microwave safe on the sides of the egg. Use a microwave cover as a lid over the plate to trap steam from the water poured on the egg.
The over easy egg is ready to serve when the egg white are fully cooked and the yolk is completely covered with white.
An over easy egg is the last item that should be prepared after the rest of the breakfast items are ready to go. If not, runny yolk may set and no longer be considered as over easy.
How long do you cook over easy eggs in the microwave?
After cracking the egg on a preheated microwave-safe plate and seasoning it. You have to cook an over easy egg for about 45 seconds or until the egg white is fully cooked and the top of the yolk is slightly set.
Using a lid will improve the results and adjust the cooking time. Additionally, the wattage level of the microwave will have an impact of the time and temperature of the microwave.
Can you reheat over easy eggs in the microwave?
Yes, you can reheat an over easy egg in the microwave, but its texture and consistency will not remain as fresh. The egg white will become a bit rubbery, and the yolk will no longer be runny.
To avoid overcooking while reheating eggs in a microwave, you are suggested to heat it at a very low temperature, say at 100W in an inverter microwave. The reheated over easy egg will not be really hot, but it will make it warm enough to notice a difference.
Tips to Microwave Over Easy Eggs
Don’t over think the process, after all its just an egg. However, there are a few easy tips to improve the results when you microwave an over easy egg.
- Crack the egg into a small bowl to ensure the egg remain whole and that the yolk does not pop.
- Allow the egg to come to rom temperature for 20 minutes before cooking.
- Use a microwave safe dish with shallow sides.
- Preheat the plate in the microwave.
- Use a microwave cover, plastic wrap or paper towel to trap steam and cook the top of the yolk without flipping the egg.
- To avoid an explosion in the microwave, take a toothpick to break the surface of the yolk by piercing the center. A cover will help to eliminate the concern.
- Allow the egg to rest in the microwave for 30 seconds before cutting into the yolk, the center may have superheated which can cause it to explode after being microwaved.
- Cook over easy eggs last, after everything else is prepared.
You can microwave over easy eggs by following a few easy steps. To get the best results you are suggested to microwave one egg at a time.
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon oil or butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Take a shallow microwave-safe plate and preheat it for 15 seconds in the microwave.
- Add the butter or oil to the preheated dish.
- Crack the egg onto the hot dish. Season the egg with pepper and salt.
- Cover the dish to cook the egg evenly on the top and bottom by trapping the steam inside the lid.
- Microwave the egg for 45 seconds or until the white on the top of the yolk is partially set.
- Allow the egg remain covered for 30 seconds so that yolk starts thickening and the whites become opaque.
- Carefully remove the lid to allow the steam to dissipate.
- Slide the over easy egg on the serving plate and enjoy.
Adjust the time for cooking an over easy egg according to your microwave as every microwave can have different cooking times.
Microwave one over easy egg at a time to get a runny yolk every time.
Prepare it just before serving.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 113Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 186mgSodium: 71mgCarbohydrates: 0gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 6g