Do you prefer eating silky smooth egg whites with warm, soft and runny yolks? If yes, then you will be glad to know that you can easily prepare heavenly delicious runny eggs straight in your microwave.
How do you make runny eggs in the microwave? Three ways to make runny eggs in the microwave include poached, sunny side up, and over easy. Poached eggs require a mug filled with 1 cup of water, while sunny side up eggs and over easy eggs require a microwave safe plate.
There is no need to take out a skillet pan when you know how to microwave eggs the right way. Just follow the steps below and you will learn three ways to make microwave runny eggs.
Can you microwave runny egg?
Yes, you can easily microwave runny egg with minimum cooking hassle. The type of preparation will determine the microwave technique.
- To make a poached egg in the microwave, you will need a microwave safe bowl or mug, water and vinegar.
- To make a sunny side up egg in the microwave, you will need a microwave safe plate and oil.
- To make an over easy egg in the microwave, you will need a microwave safe plate and oil.
Once these items are all set, you will be ready to prepare your favorite microwave egg recipes with runny, warm yolks and creamy, firm whites.
Is it safe to eat runny eggs cooked in the microwave?
Yes, it is perfectly safe to cook runny eggs in the microwave, However, there are potential safety concerns that you should be aware of.
You should keep in mind is that the cookware should be 100% microwave safe. But, if you use the 100% microwave-proof materials, then you will no longer have to worry about any health or safety issues.
For example, if you use low-quality cooking bowls, then it may leach harmful chemicals during the microwaving process, such as lead, enamel or glaze. In such cases, the microwaved preparations in unsafe cooking pots may not be suitable for your health.
There is one more thing that you should keep in mind. While you are preparing the microwave runny eggs recipe, please make sure to check if the egg yolk is not raw and it’s processed enough for your digestion.
Otherwise, you may suffer from issues like food borne illness if the egg is raw and completely undercooked.
The USDA recommends that eggs are cooked to an internal temperature of 160 degrees Fahrenheit. Runny eggs are cooked to an internal temperature of 138 degrees Fahrenheit, which is below the food safety guidelines.
Lastly, there is a potential of the egg or boiling water becoming superheated. The surface tension of the water or egg membrane can trap steam under pressure which can lead to a dangerous explosion.
How long do you microwave runny eggs?
Microwave runny eggs typically take sixty seconds to cook. Depending on the type of preparation you are making. You may notice a slight difference in the cooking time based on the wattage, power level and cavity size of the microwave.
Runny eggs do not need much time to prepare in the microwave. The recipes will at most take one and a half minutes to get cooked with a runny yolk.
For egg recipes, it’s very important that you should not exceed the indicated cooking time. Otherwise, your final dish may get overcooked and the yolk will become hard.
Can you reheat runny eggs in the microwave?
You can easily reheat eggs in the microwave. Of course, the reheating time will be much lesser than the actual cooking time, and the egg may no longer be runny after heating a second time.
For example, the actual cooking and preparation time for microwave runny eggs is around 1½ minutes.
But, if you want to reheat a runny egg, then you can place it in the microwave for around 15-20 seconds. A short duration will reduce the risk of completely overcooking the soft egg.
Tips to Microwave Runny Eggs
If you want to prepare microwave runny eggs recipes, then you will need a handful of easy to follow steps. Here are a few tips to achieve the best results:
- Starting with a room temperature egg will make the thermodynamic transition easier to achieve.
- Please make sure to use the microwave-safe cooking utensils. If you use low-quality bowls, it will leach through chemicals into the food.
- The most important factor for runny eggs is doneness of the yolk. If you want to ensure the perfect consistency of warm and runny yolks, then please give focus on the cooking time. Please do not overcook the dish.
- It’s recommended to process the preparation in the microwave for 40 seconds at first to keep on checking the consistency and accordingly. You may need to increase the cooking span for ten second intervals to verify doneness that you desire.
- Note the amount of water you are using when poaching an egg. The egg should be submerged underneath the water with 1” of water above the top of the egg.
- Preheat a microwave safe plate before cooking a sunny side up egg or over easy egg in the microwave.