This 3-ingredient mug cake is a super quick and easy dessert! It requires only 3 easy ingredients. This moist and flavorful mug cake comes together in under 5 minutes. Only 1 minute in the microwave! It is the perfect single-serve dessert for any occasion. Add some whipped cream or ice cream on top for a delicious sweet treat!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
There are many reasons why you will love this recipe for 3-ingredient mug cake. Here are just a few:
- It is quick and easy to make.
- No oven is needed. This recipe is made in a microwave.
- It is simple and convenient.
- You can make a mug cake in just minutes, making it perfect for a quick dessert or snack.
- In addition, this individual mug cake is perfect for one person.
- It is customizable.
- You can customize the mug cake to your liking by adding different flavors or toppings.
- It is affordable and requires just 3 ingredients.
- No eggs are needed!
- Add a scoop of ice cream on top of the freshly microwaved mug cake. It will become creamy and gooey!
- Check out this Oreo Mug Cake for another fun microwave dessert!
Ingredients & Substitutes
These are the ingredients for this 3-ingredient mug cake. Scroll down to the recipe card for the full recipe.
For the flour, use all-purpose flour, cake flour, or gluten-free flour. Do not use self-rising flour. Almond flour, coconut flour, and oat flour will yield different results.
Use any type of milk. Both regular and dairy-free work well.
Lastly, Nutella adds the chocolate hazelnut flavor! Feel free to use another brand of chocolate hazelnut spread. Peanut butter can be used in its place if needed.
Taste & Texture
This 3-ingredient mug cake has a soft and fluffy texture! The top crust is slightly chewy.
Overall, the flavor is sweet and satisfying. The biggest flavor is Nutella.
This mug cake is sweet, chocolaty, and delicious!
Different Types of Cooking Methods
There are a few different ways to cook a 3-ingredient mug cake. The most common method is to microwave it. However, you can also cook it in the oven or in the air fryer.
- Microwave: To microwave a 3-ingredient mug cake, simply combine the ingredients in a microwave-safe mug. Microwave for 1 minute, or until cooked through.
- Oven: To bake this mug cake in the oven, preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Air Fryer: Preheat the air fryer to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Air fry for 7 to 8 minutes, or until cooked through.
How to Make
First, lightly grease a microwave-safe mug with some non-stick cooking spray or a little butter.
Then, add the all-purpose flour to the mug.
Pour in the milk.
Add the Nutella or chocolate-hazelnut spread.
Mix all the ingredients together thoroughly with a fork or spoon until you have a smooth and consistent batter. Make sure there are no lumps left.
Place the mug in the microwave and cook on high for about 1 minute. Cook in additional 10-second increments as needed. The cooking time may vary depending on your microwave’s power. Keep a close eye on it to avoid overcooking.
The mug cake is ready when it has risen and looks firm on top.
Next, carefully remove the mug from the microwave. Allow the cake to cool for a minute or two before digging in.
Enjoy the mug cake as it is or add some toppings like a dollop of whipped cream, a sprinkle of powdered sugar, or a few chocolate chips for an extra treat!
Expert Tips for Success
Here are a few expert tips and tricks for making the best 3-ingredient mug cake!
Use good quality ingredients. This will make a big difference in the taste and texture of the mug cake.
Avoid overmixing the cake batter. This can lead to a rubbery mug cake.
Cook the mug cake until it is cooked through. An undercooked mug cake will be gooey and wet.
All microwaves are different. Keep a close eye on the mug cake as it cooks. Yours may need slightly more or less time.
If desired, add frosting on top after. Let the mug cake cool completely before frosting it. Frosting a warm mug cake will make the frosting melt.
Flavor Variations & Add-Ins
Here are some fun ways to switch up the flavors of the 3 ingredient mug cake!
This 3-ingredient mug cake can be totally customized.
Add some chocolate chips to the cake batter.
Sprinkle some chocolate chips on top of the cake after cooking. They will melt and become creamy!
Add some chopped nuts to the cake batter. This creates a delicious crunch.
Add in a few crushed Oreos. This yields a delicious cookies and cream flavor!
Top with a drizzle of creamy peanut butter.
How to Serve & Store
This 3-ingredient mug cake can be served warm or at room temperature.
Add some whipped cream, hot fudge sauce, caramel, or ice cream on top!
It can also be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. However, this mug cake is best served hot and fresh.
To reheat, simply microwave it for 10 to 15 seconds, or until warmed through.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
You can use any type of flour for a 3-ingredient mug cake. Gluten-free flour, all-purpose flour, and cake flour all work well.
No, you should not use self-rising flour for a 3-ingredient mug cake. Self-rising flour contains baking powder and baking soda, which can make the mug cake too dry.
Yes, you can add other ingredients to your mug cake, such as chocolate chips, fruit, or nuts.
You can make your mug cake even more delicious by adding a frosting or glaze. Or, top it with whipped cream or ice cream.
Microwave Safe Mug: These mugs are very large but great for making mug cakes!
Set of 4 Mugs: These mugs are a little smaller.
Check out all of my kitchen favorites!
You May Also Enjoy
- Microwave Cookies
- Peanut Butter Mug Cake
- Microwave Peanut Brittle
- How to Microwave Pop Tarts
- Microwave Caramel Sauce
This homemade 3 ingredient mug cake is soft, fluffy, and moist! The Nutella adds the most delicious chocolate hazelnut flavor. This recipe takes just 5 minutes to make. Great for a quick and easy snack or dessert!
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons milk (you can use any milk you prefer - cow's milk, almond milk, etc.)
- 2 tablespoons Nutella (or any other chocolate-hazelnut spread)
- Take a microwave-safe mug and lightly grease the inside with some non-stick cooking spray or a little butter.
- Add the all-purpose flour to the mug.
- Pour in the milk.
- Add the Nutella or chocolate-hazelnut
- Mix all the ingredients together thoroughly with a fork or spoon until you have a smooth and consistent batter. Make sure there are no lumps left.
- Place the mug in the microwave and cook on high for about 1 minute. Cook in
additional 10-second increments as needed. The cooking time may vary depending on your microwave's power. Keep a close eye on it to avoid overcooking, as the cake may become dry.
- The mug cake is ready when it has risen and looks firm on top. You can insert a toothpick into the center to check if it comes out clean, indicating that the cake is fully cooked.
- Carefully remove the mug from the microwave (it will be hot!) and allow the cake to cool for a minute or two before digging in
- You can enjoy the mug cake as it is or add some toppings like a dollop of whipped cream, a sprinkle of powdered sugar, or a few chocolate chips for an extra treat.
- Do not use self-rising flour. Use all purpose flour, gluten free flour, or cake flour.
- Any type of milk works well.
- Nutella adds a great flavor! If needed, use creamy peanut butter instead.
- All microwaves are different. Check your mug cake after 60 seconds. It may need up to 2 minutes.
- I recommend not making this ahead of time. It will keep in the fridge for up to 3 days, but it is much better fresh.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 321Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 4gUnsaturated Fat: .4gCholesterol: 5mgSodium: 48mgCarbohydrates: 42gFiber: 1.8gSugar: 20.1gProtein: 5.5g