This protein mug cake is a quick, easy, and healthy way to get a delicious and nutritious snack or dessert! It only takes 5 minutes to make, and it has 36 grams of protein. The cake has a rich and decadent chocolate flavor. In addition, it is made with simple ingredients that you probably already have on hand. Mix, microwave, and devour!
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- Quick and easy: This protein mug cake recipe can be made in just 5 minutes. Simply mix the ingredients together in a mug and microwave for a minute.
- High in protein: A serving of this cake has 36 grams of protein, which can help you build and repair muscle tissue.
- Great for anyone: Kids and adults love this recipe!
- Low in calories: A serving of this cake is less than 350 calories.
- Versatile: You can customize this recipe to your liking by adding different flavors and toppings.
- Naturally gluten-free, egg-free, and dairy-free: This recipe is made with simple, healthy ingredients that are free of common allergens.
- Check out this Snickerdoodle Mug Cake or this 3 Ingredient Mug Cake for another favorite dessert!
Ingredients and Substitutions
Here are the main ingredients for this chocolate protein mug cake, along with some substitutions.
Oat flour: This is a healthier flour option that is high in fiber and protein. If you don’t have oat flour, you can substitute 3 tablespoons of almond flour.
Cocoa powder: This adds the classic chocolate flavor to the mug cake.
Protein powder: You can use either vanilla or chocolate protein powder. I recommend using one with a good flavor, as some protein powders can have a bad aftertaste. Whey protein does not bake well, so I recommend using a plant-based protein powder such as pea protein.
Baking powder: This helps to leaven the mug cake slightly.
Brown sugar: This adds a natural sweetness to the mug cake. For a healthier option, use coconut sugar.
Dairy-free milk: This helps to thin out the batter and make it easier to microwave. You can use any type of dairy-free milk, such as almond milk, coconut milk, cashew milk, or soy milk.
Chocolate chips: Add in some chocolate chips for an even more indulgent recipe!
Taste and Texture
Rich and decadent chocolate flavor: This cake has a deep, rich chocolate flavor that is sure to satisfy your sweet tooth.
Light and fluffy texture: The cake is light and fluffy, with a slightly chewy crust around the edges.
Subtle boost of protein: The protein powder adds a subtle boost of protein to the cake, without overpowering the flavor.
How to Make
To begin, add all of the ingredients to a mug. Reserve a few chocolate chips.
Mix all of the ingredients together.
Then, microwave the mug cake on high for 60 seconds. If needed, microwave in additional 10-second increments.
Carefully remove the mug from the microwave. Then, sprinkle some chocolate chips on top.
Finally, serve this high-protein mug cake!
Expert Tips and Tricks
Choose a high-quality protein powder. I recommend using a plant-based protein powder. Whey protein becomes dry when baked.
Microwave the mug cake for 60 seconds. Then, check for doneness. Add more cooking time in 10-second increments as needed.
The mug will become very hot. Use oven mitts to remove it from the microwave.
Add some chocolate chips on top of the protein mug cake after cooking. They become melted and gooey!
Toppings and Flavors
Here are some fun ways to switch up the flavors of your protein mug cake!
Choose a flavored protein powder.
To make a protein vanilla mug cake, omit the cocoa powder.
Add a spoonful of peanut butter to the batter.
Add in chopped nuts. Pecans, almonds, and walnuts are great options.
Sprinkle in some coconut flakes.
Add in crushed Oreo cookies.
How to Serve and Store
For the best result, serve this high-protein mug cake hot and fresh! It is so delicious when warm.
Add a scoop of ice cream or whipped cream for the ultimate treat.
This mug cake is best served fresh, but it can be stored for later. Store in the fridge for up to 2 days.
Microwave the cake for 10 seconds to reheat it.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Yes, mug cakes are completely safe to eat.
Mug cakes can become rubbery if they are overcooked.
Yes, this protein mug cake recipe is made with healthier ingredients.
As long as you use gluten-free protein powder, this recipe is naturally gluten-free.
Sure! Use a large enough ramekin. It should hold at least 10 liquid ounces.
Oven Safe Ramekins: These ramekins are large enough for this protein mug cake. In addition, they are microwave safe and oven safe.
Mugs: These mugs are much bigger than necessary for this recipe! They are great for mug cakes that you plan on topping with ice cream.
You May Also Enjoy
- Microwave Cookies
- Peanut Butter Mug Cake
- Microwave Peanut Brittle
- How to Microwave Pop Tarts
- Microwave Caramel Sauce
This high-protein mug cake is the easiest and quickest recipe! It takes only a few minutes in total. This indulgent and rich chocolate cake is made with secretly healthy ingredients!
- 2 tablespoons oat flour
- 3 tablespoons vanilla protein powder
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar, or coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons chocolate chips
- To begin, add all of the ingredients to a mug. Reserve a few chocolate chips.
- Mix all of the ingredients together.
- Then, microwave the mug cake on high for 60 seconds. If needed, microwave in additional 10-second increments.
- Carefully remove the mug from the microwave. Then, sprinkle some chocolate chips on top.
- Finally, serve this high-protein mug cake!
- If you do not have oat flour, use almond flour.
- Every microwave is slightly different. Your mug cake may need more cooking time.
- Handle the mug carefully. It will be very hot!
- Use a mug or ramekin that is at least 10 ounces in size.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 339Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: .1gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 90mgSodium: 300mgCarbohydrates: 54gFiber: 4gSugar: 33gProtein: 36g